a. One who shows the way by leading, directing, or advising.
b. One who serves as a model for others, as in a course of conduct.
2. A person employed to conduct others, as through a museum, and give information about points of interest encountered.
a. Something, such as a pamphlet, that offers basic information or instruction: a shopper's guide.
b. A guidebook.
a. Something that serves to direct or indicate.
b. A device, such as a ruler, tab, or bar, that serves as an indicator or acts to regulate a motion or operation.
5. A soldier stationed at the right or left of a column of marchers to control alignment, show direction, or mark the point of pivot.
v. guid·ed, guid·ing, guides
1. To serve as a guide for; conduct.
2. To direct the course of; steer: guide a ship through a channel.
3. To exert control or influence over; direct: guided the nation through the crisis.
4. To supervise the training or education of.
To serve as a guide.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Old Provençal guida, from guidar, to guide, of Germanic origin; see weid- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
Synonyms: guide, lead1, pilot, shepherd, steer1, usher
These verbs mean to conduct on or direct to the way: guided me to my seat; led the troops into battle; a teacher piloting students through the zoo; shepherding tourists to the bus; steered the applicant to the third floor; ushering a visitor out.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus