1. A sparkling or glistening light.
2. Brilliant or showy, often superficial attractiveness.
3. Small pieces of light-reflecting decorative material.
intr.v. glit·tered, glit·ter·ing, glit·ters
1. To sparkle brilliantly; glisten: a gold ring that glittered in the display window; eyes that glittered with tears. See Synonyms at flash.
2. To be reflected as a sparkling or glistening light: The sun glittered on the snow.
[Middle English gliteren, to sparkle, from Old Norse glitra; see ghel-2 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.