plane 1 (plān)
1. Mathematics A surface containing all the straight lines that connect any two points on it.
2. A flat or level surface.
3. A level of development, existence, or achievement: scholarship on a high plane.
4. An airplane or hydroplane.
5. A supporting surface of an airplane; an airfoil or wing.
1. Mathematics Of or being a figure lying in a plane: a plane curve.
2. Flat; level. See Synonyms at level.
[Latin plānum, flat surface, from neuter of plānus, flat; see pelə-2 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots. N., sense 4, short for AEROPLANE.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.