1. A territory governed as an administrative or political unit of a country or empire.
2. Ecclesiastical A division of territory under the jurisdiction of a metropolitan.
3. provinces Areas of a country situated away from the capital or population center.
4. An area of knowledge, activity, or interest: a topic falling within the province of ancient history. See Synonyms at field.
5. The range of one's proper duties and functions; scope.
6. Ecology An area of land, less extensive than a region, having a characteristic plant and animal population.
7. Any of various lands outside Italy conquered by the Romans and administered by them as self-contained units.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin prōvincia.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.