1. A group or set of three of one kind.
2. One of three children born at one birth.
3. A group of three lines of verse.
4. Music A group of three notes having the time value of two notes of the same kind. Also called tercet.
5. Physics A multiplet with three components.
6. Genetics A unit of three successive nucleotides in a molecule of DNA or RNA that codes for a specific amino acid; a codon or anticodon.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.