1. The total of two or more quantities; the aggregate.
2. A number; a sum.
3. A principal plus its interest, as in a loan.
4. The full effect or meaning; import.
5. Quantity: a great amount of intelligence.
intr.v. a·mount·ed, a·mount·ing, a·mounts
1. To add up in number or quantity: The purchases amounted to 50 dollars.
2. To add up in import or effect: That plan will never amount to anything.
3. To be equivalent or tantamount: accusations that amount to an indictment.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.