1. A child in the earliest period of life, especially before he or she can walk.
2. Law A person under the legal age of majority; a minor.
3. A very young nonhuman mammal, especially a primate.
1. Of or being in infancy.
2. Intended for infants or young children.
3. Newly begun or formed: an infant enterprise.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.