v. re·viewed, re·view·ing, re·views
1. To look over, study, or examine again: reviewed last week's lesson.
2. To consider retrospectively; look back on: reviewed the day's events.
3. To examine with an eye to criticism or correction: reviewed the research findings.
4. To write or give a critical report on (a new work or performance, for example).
5. Law To evaluate (a decision made by or action taken by a lower court) to determine whether any error was made.
6. To subject to a formal inspection, especially a military inspection.
1. To go over or restudy material: reviewing for a final exam.
2. To write critical reviews, especially for a newspaper or magazine.
1. A reexamination or reconsideration.
2. A retrospective view or survey.
a. A restudying of subject matter.
b. An exercise for use in restudying material.
a. A report or essay giving a critical estimate of a work or performance.
b. A periodical devoted to articles and essays on current affairs, literature, or art.
a. An inspection or examination for the purpose of evaluation.
b. A formal military inspection.
c. A formal military ceremony held in honor of a person or occasion.
6. Law An evaluation conducted by a higher court of a decision made or action taken by a lower court to determine whether any error was made.
7. A musical show consisting of often satirical skits, songs, and dances; a revue.
[Probably from Middle English, inspection of military forces, from Old French revue, review, from feminine past participle of reveeir, to see again, from Latin revidēre : re-, re- + vidēre, to see; see weid- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus