1. The Atlantic Ocean.
2. The westernmost branch of the Niger-Congo language family. Also called West Atlantic.
1. Of, in, or near the Atlantic Ocean.
2. Of, on, or near the eastern coast of the United States.
3. Of or concerning countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean, especially those of Europe and North America.
4. Of or relating to the westernmost branch of the Niger-Congo language family.
[Middle English Atlantik, from Latin (mare) Atlanticum, Atlantic (sea), from Greek (pelagos) Atlantikos, from Atlās, Atlant-, Atlas, Mount Atlas (in west Africa, on which the heavens were believed to rest); see telə- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.