adj. bald·er, bald·est
1. Lacking hair on the head.
2. Lacking a natural or usual covering: a bald spot on the lawn.
3. Lacking treads: a bald tire.
4. Zoology Having white feathers or markings on the head, as in some birds or mammals.
5. Lacking ornamentation; unadorned.
6. Undisguised; blunt: a bald statement of policy.
[Middle English balled, probably from bal, ball; see BALL1. Sense 4, perhaps partly of Celtic origin; akin to Welsh bal, having a white streak on the forehead (of horses), Irish ball, spot, mark, and English blaze, white mark on the face of an animal; see BLAZE2.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.