adj. also graph·i·cal (-ĭ-kəl)
a. Of or relating to written representation.
b. Of or relating to pictorial representation.
2. Of, relating to, or represented by a graph: a chart that provided graphic representation of population statistics.
3. Depicted or described in vivid detail: a graphic account of the accident. See Synonyms at vivid.
4. Of or relating to the graphic arts: a student of graphic design.
5. Of or relating to graphics.
6. Geology Having crystals resembling printed characters.
1. A work of graphic art.
2. A diagram or image used for illustration, as in a lecture.
3. A graphic display generated by a computer or an imaging device.
[Latin graphicus, from Greek graphikos, from graphē, writing, from graphein, to write; see gerbh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.