a·dult (ə-dŭlt, ădŭlt)
1. One who has attained maturity or legal age.
2. Biology A fully grown, mature organism.
1. Fully developed and mature.
2. Relating to, intended for, or befitting adults: adult education.
3. Containing or dealing in explicitly sexual material; pornographic: adult movies.
[From Latin adultus, past participle of adolēscere, to grow up; see ADOLESCENT.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.