a. An itemized summary of estimated or intended expenditures for a given period along with proposals for financing them: submitted the annual budget to Congress.
b. A systematic plan for the expenditure of a usually fixed resource, such as money or time, during a given period: A new car will not be part of our budget this year.
c. The total sum of money allocated for a particular purpose or period of time: a project with an annual budget of five million dollars.
2. A stock or collection with definite limits: "his budget of general knowledge" (William Hazlitt).
3. Appalachian Mountains A wallet or small pouch.
v. budg·et·ed, budg·et·ing, budg·ets
1. To plan in advance the expenditure of: needed help budgeting our income; budgeted my time wisely.
2. To enter or account for in a budget: forgot to budget the car payments.
To make or use a budget.
1. Of or relating to a budget: budget items approved by Congress.
2. Appropriate for a restricted budget; inexpensive: a budget car; budget meals.
[Middle English bouget, wallet, from Old French bougette, diminutive of bouge, leather bag, from Latin bulga, of Celtic origin; see bhelgh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
budget·ar′y (bŭjĭ-tĕr′ē) adj.
budget·er, budg′et·eer (-ĭ-tîr) n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus