1. Of or relating to chemistry.
2. Of or relating to the properties or actions of chemicals.
3. Of or relating to chemical weapons: chemical warfare.
1. A substance with a distinct molecular composition that is produced by or used in a chemical process.
2. A drug, especially an illicit or addictive one.
[Obsolete chimical, from chimic, alchemist, from New Latin chimicus, from Medieval Latin alchimicus, from alchymia, alchemy; see ALCHEMY.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.