1. A member of a confederacy; an ally.
2. One who assists in a plot; an accomplice. See Synonyms at partner.
3. Confederate A supporter of the Confederate States of America.
1. United in a confederacy; allied.
2. Confederate Of or having to do with the Confederate States of America.
tr. & intr.v. (-ə-rāt′) con·fed·er·at·ed, con·fed·er·at·ing, con·fed·er·ates
To form into or become part of a confederacy.
[From Middle English confederat, allied, from Late Latin cōnfoederātus, past participle of cōnfoederāre, to unite : Latin com-, com- + Latin foederāre, to unite (from foedus, foeder-, league; see bheidh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots).]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.