1. The quality of being suitable to one's comfort, purposes, or needs: the convenience of living near shops, schools, and libraries.
2. Personal comfort or advantage: services that promote the customer's convenience.
3. Something that increases comfort or saves work: household conveniences such as a washing machine, an electric can opener, and disposable diapers. See Synonyms at amenity.
4. A suitable or agreeable time: Fill out the form at your earliest convenience.
5. Chiefly British A lavatory.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2015 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus