1. A counterbalancing weight.
2. A force or influence that balances or equally counteracts another.
3. The state of being in equilibrium.
tr.v. coun·ter·poised, coun·ter·pois·ing, coun·ter·pois·es
1. To oppose with an equal weight; counterbalance.
2. To act against with an equal force or power; offset.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.