1. The outermost layer of the skin of vertebrates; epidermis.
2. The strip of hardened skin at the base and sides of a fingernail or toenail.
3. Dead or cornified epidermis.
4. Zoology The noncellular, hardened or membranous protective covering of many invertebrates, such as the transparent membrane that covers annelids.
5. Botany The layer of cutin covering the epidermis of the aerial parts of plants.
[Latin cutīcula, diminutive of cutis, skin; see (s)keu- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
cu·ticu·lar (-tĭkyə-lər) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus