n. pl. dair·ies
1. A commercial establishment for processing or selling milk and milk products.
2. A place where milk and cream are stored and processed.
3. A dairy farm.
4. The dairy business; dairying.
5. Food containing milk or milk derivatives.
1. Of, for, or relating to milk or milk products: the dairy section at the grocery store.
2. Of or relating to dairying.
3. Judaism Of or relating to food products containing milk or milk derivatives and not containing meat or meat derivatives, as dictated by dietary law.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.