n. pl. dair·ies
1. A commercial establishment for processing or selling milk and milk products.
2. A place where milk and cream are stored and processed.
3. A dairy farm.
4. The dairy business; dairying.
5. Food containing milk or milk derivatives.
1. Of, for, or relating to milk or milk products: the dairy section at the grocery store.
2. Of or relating to dairying.
3. Judaism Of or relating to food products containing milk or milk derivatives and not containing meat or meat derivatives, as dictated by dietary law.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.