dick 2 (dĭk) Slang
1. Vulgar A penis.
2. Vulgar A person, especially a man, regarded as mean or contemptible.
3. Chiefly British A fellow; a guy.
tr.v. dicked, dick·ing, dicksPhrasal Verbs:
1. To have sexual intercourse with. Used of a man.
2. To treat (someone) meanly or unfairly; exploit or cheat. Often used with over.
dick around Vulgar
1. To spend time idly; fool around.
2. To be sexually promiscuous. Used of men.
3. To exploit or cheat (someone).
dick up Vulgar
To botch or bungle.
[From Dick, nickname for Richard.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.