1. One that fits a head on an object.
2. One that removes a head from an object, especially a machine that reaps the heads of grain and passes them into a wagon or receptacle.
3. A pipe that serves as a central connection for two or more smaller pipes.
4. A floor or roof beam placed between two long beams that supports the ends of the tailpieces.
5. A brick or stone laid at a right angle to the face of a wall so that only its short end is showing. Also called bonder.
6. Informal A headlong dive or fall.
7. Sports A pass or shot made in soccer by heading the ball.
8. Textual information, such as a title, date, or page number, positioned in the top margin of a page and usually repeated throughout a document.
9. A raised tank or hopper that maintains a constant pressure or supply to a system, especially the small tank that supplies water to a central heating system.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.