i·tin·er·ar·y (ī-tĭnə-rĕr′ē, ĭ-tĭn-)
n. pl. i·tin·er·ar·ies
1. A route or proposed route of a journey.
2. An account or record of a journey.
3. A guidebook for travelers.
1. Of or relating to a journey or route.
2. Traveling from place to place; itinerant.
[Middle English itinerarie, from Late Latin itinerārium, account of a journey, from neuter of itinerārius, of traveling, from Latin iter, itiner-, journey; see ei- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.