adj. love·li·er, love·li·est
1. Beautiful especially in a pleasing or charming way. See Synonyms at beautiful.
2. Enjoyable; delightful: had a lovely weekend in the country.
3. Archaic Inspiring love or affection.
4. Obsolete Full of love; loving.
n. pl. love·lies
1. A beautiful person, especially a woman.
2. A lovely object.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.