1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of members of the armed forces: a military bearing; military attire.
2. Performed or supported by the armed forces: military service.
3. Of or relating to war: military operations.
4. Of or relating to land forces.
n. pl. military also mil·i·tar·ies
1. Armed forces: a country ruled by the military.
2. Members, especially officers, of an armed force.
[Middle English, from Latin mīlitāris, from mīles, mīlit-, soldier.]
mil′i·tari·ly (-târə-lē) adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.