north·east (nôrth-ēst, nôr-ēst)
1. Abbr. NE The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due north and due east, or 45° east of due north.
2. An area or region lying in the northeast.
3. Northeast A region of the northeast United States, generally including the New England states, New York, and sometimes Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
1. To, toward, of, facing, or in the northeast.
2. Originating in or coming from the northeast: a northeast wind.
In, from, or toward the northeast.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.