1. Greek Mythology Of or relating to the greater gods and goddesses of the ancient Greek pantheon, whose abode was Mount Olympus.
a. Majestic in manner.
b. Superior to mundane affairs.
c. Surpassing all others in scope and effect: Olympian efforts were mounted to keep the city from going bankrupt.
3. Of or relating to the Olympic Games.
4. Of or relating to the region of Olympia in Greece or its inhabitants.
1. Greek Mythology One of the 12 major gods and goddesses inhabiting Mount Olympus.
2. One who is superior to all others: an intellectual Olympian.
3. A contestant in either the ancient or the modern Olympic Games.
4. A native or inhabitant of the region of Olympia in Greece.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.