1. Provided or serving only for the time being. See Synonyms at temporary.
2. Provisional Of or relating to any of the extremist factions of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
1. A person hired temporarily for a job, typically before having taken an examination qualifying the person for permanent employment: fire department provisionals.
2. A temporary stamp that is used before the official issue is released.
3. Provisional A member of a Provisional faction of the Irish Republican Army.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.