1. Of or relating to Prussia or its Baltic or German inhabitants.
2. Suggestive of or resembling the Junkers and the military class of Prussia.
1. Any of the western Balts inhabiting the region between the Vistula and Neman Rivers in ancient times.
2. A Baltic inhabitant of Prussia.
3. A German inhabitant of Prussia.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.