1. One that serves as an example or type for others of the same classification.
2. One that serves as a delegate or agent for another.
a. A member of a governmental body, usually legislative, chosen by popular vote.
b. A member of the US House of Representatives or of the lower house of a state legislature.
1. Representing, depicting, or portraying or able to do so.
2. Authorized to act as an official delegate or agent.
3. Of or characteristic of government by representation.
4. Like or typical of others of the same class.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.