a. Abbr. Rd. An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals.
b. The surface of a road; a roadbed.
2. A course or path: the road to riches.
3. A railroad.
4. often roads Nautical A roadstead.
down the road
In the future; at a later date.
on the road
1. On tour, as a theatrical company.
2. Traveling, especially as a salesperson.
3. Wandering, as a vagabond.
[Middle English rode, rade, a riding, road, from Old English rād; see reidh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.