1. One that screams, especially one that sings harshly or stridently.
2. Slang A sensational headline.
3. Slang One that evokes screams or laughter: The comedian's act is a real screamer.
4. Slang An exclamation point.
5. Baseball A hard-hit line drive.
6. Any of several large waterfowl of the family Anhimidae of South America, having a harsh resonant call.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.