adj. smooth·er, smooth·est
a. Having a surface free from irregularities, roughness, or projections; even. See Synonyms at level.
b. Free from waves or disturbances; calm: The lake is smooth today.
a. Free from hair, whiskers, or stubble: felt his smooth cheek after the close shave.
b. Having a short dense flat coat. Used of dogs.
a. Having a fine texture: a smooth fabric.
b. Having an even consistency: a smooth pudding.
c. Having an even or gentle motion or movement: a smooth ride.
4. Having no obstructions or difficulties: a smooth operation; a smooth trip.
5. Easy-going; serene: a smooth temperament.
6. Not sharp or bitter in taste: a smooth wine.
7. Delicately pleasing to the ear; not harsh or grating: a smooth voice.
8. Ingratiatingly polite and agreeable: known for his smooth remarks.
v. smoothed, smooth·ing, smoothes
1. To make (something) even, level, or unwrinkled: smoothed the fabric with an iron.
2. To rid of obstructions, hindrances, or difficulties: a real estate agent who smoothed the process of applying for a mortgage.
3. To soothe or tranquilize; make calm: The president tried to smooth over the hurt feelings of the disputing factions.
4. To cause to appear less harsh or severe than is the case: Don't try to smooth over their faults.
To become smooth.
1. The act of smoothing.
2. A smooth surface or part.
[Middle English smothe, from Old English smōth.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.