so·pran·o (sə-prănō, -pränō)
n. pl. so·pran·os
1. The highest singing voice of a woman or young boy.
2. A singer having such a voice.
3. The tonal range characteristic of a soprano.
4. An instrument that sounds within this range.
5. A vocal or instrumental part written within this range.
[Italian, from sopra, above, from Latin suprā; see uper in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.