1. Situated in, toward, or facing the south.
2. Coming from the south: southern breezes.
3. Native to or growing in the south.
4. often Southern Of, relating to, or characteristic of southern regions or the South.
5. Being south of the equator.
[Middle English southerne, from Old English sūtherne; see sāwel- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.