1. The adult male of various deer, especially the red deer.
2. An animal, especially a pig, castrated after reaching sexual maturity.
3. A person who attends a social gathering unaccompanied by a partner, especially a man who is unaccompanied by a woman.
4. A social gathering for men only.
1. Of or for men only: a stag party.
2. Pornographic: stag films.
Unaccompanied: went to the dance stag.
intr.v. stagged, stag·ging, stags
To attend a social gathering unaccompanied by a partner. Used especially of men.
[Middle English stagge, from Old English stagga; see stegh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.