1. The adult male of various deer, especially the red deer.
2. An animal, especially a pig, castrated after reaching sexual maturity.
3. A person who attends a social gathering unaccompanied by a partner, especially a man who is unaccompanied by a woman.
4. A social gathering for men only.
1. Of or for men only: a stag party.
2. Pornographic: stag films.
Unaccompanied: went to the dance stag.
intr.v. stagged, stag·ging, stags
To attend a social gathering unaccompanied by a partner. Used especially of men.
[Middle English stagge, from Old English stagga; see stegh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus