1. A piece of work assigned or done as part of one's duties.
2. A difficult or tedious undertaking: Finding qualified people to fill these specialized roles was a real task.
3. A function to be performed; an objective: It is our task to renew consumer confidence.
tr.v. tasked, task·ing, tasksIdiom:
1. To assign a task to or impose a task on: The agency was tasked with creating an advertising campaign.
2. Archaic To subject to strain or hardship: "The Professor's household was a modest one, and yet it tasked his ideas to keep it up to his wife's standard" (Edith Wharton).
take/call/bring to task
To reprimand or censure.
[Middle English taske, imposed work, tax, from Old North French tasque, from Vulgar Latin *tasca, alteration of *taxa, from Latin taxāre, to feel, reproach, reckon; see TAX.]
Synonyms: task, job1, chore, assignment
These nouns denote a piece of work that one must do. A task is a well-defined responsibility that is usually imposed by another and that may be burdensome: I stayed at work late to finish the task at hand. Job often suggests a specific short-term undertaking: "did little jobs about the house with skill" (W.H. Auden).
Chore generally denotes a minor or routine job: The farmer's morning chores included milking the cows. Assignment generally denotes a task allotted by a person in authority: His homework assignment involved writing an essay.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus