trans·late (trănslāt′, trănz-, trăns-lāt, trănz-)
v. trans·lat·ed, trans·lat·ing, trans·lates
1. To render in another language: translated the Korean novel into German.
2. To express in different, often simpler words: translated the technical jargon into ordinary language.
a. To change from one form, function, or state to another; convert or transform: translate ideas into reality.
b. To express in another medium: translated the short story into a movie.
4. To transfer from one place or condition to another: "His remains were translated to San Juan de Puerto Rico where they still rest" (Samuel Eliot Morison).
5. To forward or retransmit (a telegraphic message).
a. Ecclesiastical To transfer (a bishop) to another see.
b. To convey to heaven without death.
7. Physics To subject (a body) to translation.
8. Biology To subject (messenger RNA) to translation.
a. To make a translation.
b. To work as a translator.
2. To admit of translation: His poetry translates well.
3. To be changed or transformed in effect. Often used with into or to: "Today's low inflation and steady growth in household income translate into more purchasing power" (Thomas G. Exter).
[Middle English translaten, from Old French translater, from Latin trānslātus, past participle of trānsferre, to transfer : trāns-, trans- + lātus, brought; see telə- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus