1. Consisting of three parts or members.
2. Three times as much in size, strength, number, or amount.
3. Music Having three beats to a measure.
1. A number or quantity three times as great as another.
a. Something having three identifiable or prominent parts or members.
b. Something capable of carrying or moving three people or things, as a chairlift.
3. Baseball A hit enabling the batter to reach third base. Also called three-bagger, three-base hit.
4. See trifecta.
v. tri·pled, tri·pling, tri·ples
To make three times as great in number or amount.
1. To be or become three times as great in number or amount.
2. Baseball To make a triple.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.