1. An individual, group, structure, or other entity regarded as an elementary structural or functional constituent of a whole.
2. A group regarded as a distinct entity within a larger group.
a. A mechanical part or module.
b. An entire apparatus or the equipment that performs a specific function.
4. A precisely specified quantity in terms of which the magnitudes of other quantities of the same kind can be stated.
5. Medicine The quantity of a vaccine, serum, drug, or other agent necessary to produce a specific effect.
a. A fixed amount of scholastic study used as a basis for calculating academic credits, usually measured in hours of classroom instruction or laboratory work.
b. A section of an academic course focusing on a selected theme: a unit on Native Americans.
7. The number immediately to the left of the decimal point in the Arabic numeral system.
a. The lowest positive whole number; one.
b. An element of a ring with a multiplicative inverse.
[Back-formation from UNITY.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus