1. Not in a state of order or calmness; disturbed: these unsettled times.
2. Likely to change or vary; variable: unsettled weather.
a. Not determined or resolved: an unsettled issue.
b. Uncertain or doubtful: were still unsettled with respect to their future plans.
4. Not paid or adjusted; outstanding: an unsettled bill.
5. Uninhabited or not occupied by settlers: unsettled territory.
6. Not fixed or established: an unsettled lifestyle.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.